Tattooing has a long and storied history in New York City, dating back to the early 1900s when tattooing was becoming increasingly popular in the United States. In the early days, tattoos were associated with sailors and soldiers, and tattoo shops were typically found near ports and military bases.
The first recorded tattoo shop in New York City was established in 1870 by a German immigrant named Samuel O’Reilly. O’Reilly invented the first electric tattoo machine and was instrumental in transforming tattooing from a hand-poked practice to a modern art form.
Today, New York City’s tattoo culture is thriving, with a diverse range of tattoo shops and artists catering to a wide range of styles and preferences. The city is home to many world-renowned tattoo artists who have gained international recognition for their exceptional skills and creativity.
New York City, the pulsating heart of art and culture, is home to a vast and diverse tattoo scene that reflects the city’s dynamic spirit. With a multitude of talented artists and exceptional shops spanning the five boroughs, New York offers endless possibilities for those seeking to embark on their tattoo journey.
Here are the best tattoo shops you can find in New York:
Bang Bang Tattoo
– A high-profile tattoo shop, Bang Bang is known for its celebrity clientele, including Rihanna, Justin Bieber, and Miley Cyrus. The shop is famous for its detailed and custom work in various styles, from black and grey to vibrant color tattoos.
Address: 62 Grand Street, New York, NY 10013.
East Side Ink
– This reputable shop has been a part of the NYC tattoo scene for years. The team of talented artists offers a wide range of styles, including traditional, Japanese, and realism.
Address: 97 Avenue B, New York, NY 10009.
Last Rites Tattoo Theatre
– Founded by the renowned artist Paul Booth, Last Rites specializes in dark, surreal, and macabre imagery. The shop also serves as an art gallery, showcasing works from various artists.
Address: 325 W 38th St, New York, NY 10018.
Kings Avenue Tattoo
– With locations in Manhattan and Long Island, Kings Avenue Tattoo offers a variety of styles from a group of skilled artists. The shop is known for its custom work, professionalism, and clean environment.
Address: 188 Bowery, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10012.
– Established in 1997, Daredevil Tattoo is a staple in the NYC tattoo scene. The shop offers various styles and is also home to the NYC Tattoo History Museum, which showcases the history and artifacts of tattooing in New York City.
Address: 141 Division St, New York, NY 10002.
– Gristle Tattoo is a vegan tattoo shop that uses only cruelty-free products and inks. The shop specializes in custom work and offers a wide range of styles, from traditional to geometric and dot work.
Address: 26 Bushwick Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211.
Three Kings Tattoo
– With locations in Brooklyn and Manhattan, Three Kings Tattoo is home to a diverse group of talented artists. The shop offers custom tattoos in various styles, such as traditional, Japanese, black and grey, and more.
Address: 572 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222.
Black Fish Tattoo
– Black Fish Tattoo is known for its minimalist and delicate designs, often using fine lines and dot work. The shop offers a range of styles and specializes in custom tattoos that cater to clients’ individual preferences.
Address: 316 5th Ave, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10001.
– Saved Tattoo is a high-end shop focusing on custom designs, founded by the renowned artist Scott Campbell. The shop attracts clients who seek intricate and unique tattoos from a team of skilled artists.
Address: 426 Union Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211.
White Rabbit Tattoo Studio
– A boutique tattoo shop specializing in black and grey tattoos. The artists create custom designs in a clean, welcoming, and intimate environment, ensuring a personalized experience for their clients.
Address: 121 Essex St, New York, NY 10002.
These are just a few of the many tattoo shops in New York City. New York City’s dynamic and diverse tattoo scene provides an extraordinary array of options for those seeking the perfect body art. From renowned, established shops to hidden gems tucked away in the city’s vibrant neighborhoods, there is a tattoo artist and shop to suit every style and preference.